Amirthi Zoological Park
Amirthi zoological park is situated under the Javadu Hills of Tellai across Amirthi river which is 25 kms away from vellore. This zoo logical park was started in the year 1967. The area of the park is 25 hectares and one can find beautiful water falls. There are also different kinds of birds and animals. Swings, Seesaw etc, are there for children to play. Numerous kinds of herbal plants and trees and sandal wood trees also grow here.
It was the headquarters of Nawab of Carnatic, who ruled the, region in 18th century AD. The fort enclosing the Arcot town was on the bank of river palar. It was built by Daud Khan, Nawab of Arcot. The fort was huge one and had a circumference of 8 kms. The invasion of Tipusultan of Mysore resulted in the complete destruction of the fort. Arcot was the first important fortified town captured (1751) by Roben Clive in the British-French struggle for South India.
The Central jail, Vellore was established on 19.03.1867 with 160 convicts. It is the largest Jail in the dist. The prison has historical Importance. Political leaders like former president Sri R. Venkat Raman, Dr. Aringer C.N. Anna Durai, late Tr.V.V.Giri, late Tr. Kamaraj and Sri Vinoba Bhave were confined in this prison. Many prisoners sentenced to transpiration by the courts of this Presidency are retained , when considered physically unfit for deportation to Andaman.The expenditure in the jail is recovered by the value of the convict's labour. There is a small sub jail attached to the central prison to accommodate the remand and under-trail prisoners of this district.
This clock tower was erected in the memory of the coronation of king George V .The tower is also dedicated to the 22 English soldiers who went to fight from this town during the first world war (1914-1919). Out of this 14 British soldiers died in this war.
Church of South India
It comes under the churches of south India, It is one of the biggest church, The RCA (Reform Church of America) came to North Arcot Dist, and established the church , The church is nearly 150 years old, Previously this church was in the filterbed road, The British soliders who died during the Sepoy Mutiny are buried in the vicinity of this church, The church is given authorization by the British Government to maintain this graveyard.
Jamanamarathur is the main village in Javvadu Hills which is famous for it's sandalwood and fruits bearing trees, Nearby are the Beemanmadavu waterfalls in the thick reserve forest and the Kavalur observatory are located.
Located 920 m above sea level, amidst four mountains, these picturesque environs are a part of javvad hills of the eastern ghats. Several tribes inhabit the 14 small villages in the region and engage in agriculture, horticulture and forestry. Their unique lifestyle, customs and homes, as well as an exquisitely carved church, a quaint temple and a park for the tourists add to the attractions of the place. Elagiri hills is also perfect for a short trekking holiday. July and August witness the annual murugan festival at the temple, Fruit, Herbal farm and Shrubs used in the production of ayurvedic medicines are available. Alternatively, if you are vacationing with kids, you can head to the children's park or the mini Zoo, All in all, there is something for every tourist. Try and be there for the weekly holiday where the products of the hills are on display, Vacation at Elagiri this summer is a vacation with a difference.
Erukkampattu is a small village situated close to the monuments at Vallimalai and Melpadi. The temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu is built on the lake bund. The god is enshrined here in the Sayana form of Ranganatha. The temple is assigned to the period of 9th century. The recent health work carried out in the temple revealed discoveries including a broken but beautiful stone image of Bhoga Sayanamurthy assignable to middle Chola Period.
This is a multi purpose museum treasures the ancient and present day curious relating to anthropology, art and archaeology botany,Geology etc. The historical monuments of erstwhile composite north arcot district gracefully depicted in the gallery.
Jalkandeswarar Temple-Vellore Fort
The temple which had been built in the late vijayanagar style comprised of the main shrine and closed ambulatory passage around and the integral mahamantapa, with a north ward projecting sub shrine for nataraja, containing also several other sub-shrines. The temple has two court yard one is in inner prakara, and the other is outer prakara. The structures in the court yard on the outer prakara include the lofty gopuram on the southern side which is the entry point to the temple. on the south west corner of the outer court yard is the kalyanamandapa which is the gem of the architecture of late vijayanagar style in embellishments and the art motifs of its pillars, ceilings and plinth mouldings . It stands as a testimony for the architectural workmanship of that period.
Jalagambari Water falls
The trek route from Elagiri hills to jalagambari water falls at the down hill takes a couple of hours and is recommended for starters. Jalagambari waterfalls situated 17 Kms from Tirupattur is a fine picnic spot where the deity is in the form of VEL ( a kind of spear). The murugan temple attracts the tourists throughout the year.
10 kms from Ambur, this place is famous for the Murugan temple Situated on a small hill. Streams around the temple area. One can see the ruins of the fort that are said to be there during the Nawab period. From this hill one can see the panoramic view of umarabad, a small town with a very big mosque and Arabic college.
Situated 7 km from Rani pet, Kanchanagiri is famous for small shiva temple on a plateau surrounded by hills. one can see many suyambu lingams. It is believed that they are the siddhas who lived there for thousands of years.
Sri Kangeeswarar temple is in Kankeyanallur village and was built during the time of the chola rulers, as evidenced by the stone inscriptions. The temple dedicated to to Lord Muruga was built some five hundred years ago and later on it was renovated by sri mallaiyadhas bhagavadhar and sir thirumuruga kirupanandha varriyar, a popular exponent of Hindu scriptures. Sculptures are artistically engraved in the gopura depicting the kandhapuranam and the six sthalams of lord muruga. . ,
It is well-known for its lake which is this biggest in this district. It was built by King Nandivarman III of Pallava dynasty The length of the bund is 8.35km.
Madrazaye Mohammadiya Masjid
Another important monument of attraction is that of the Mosque of Nawab Chanda Sahib. It was built in 1750 A.D. The entrance of the masjid is on the Northern side, At the top of the structure, provision is made for the speakers. On all the four sides of the structure it is decorated with arch shapes. It is constructed with brick and lime.
The village Mahendravadi owes its origin to Pallava Mahendra Varman I(AD 580- 630) According to an inscription in Pallava grantha this cave temple was excavated by gunabhara on the bund of a large tank called Mahendra thataka in the city of Mahendrapura. The cave temple is formed by completely scooping out a large free standing boulder. Now the 'karuvarai' has an Image of Narashimha.
Melpadi is an important place being the border betweem chola and rashtrakuda kingdoms. It is a Pallipadai temple and seems to have been built over the mortal remains of chola Arinjaya ( 956 -957) by his grandson chola raja raja in the year AD 1014. The temple is replete with many Tamil inscriptions recording grants of land made towards the maintenance of the temple.
16 km from Vellore on the way to Arcot, Melvisharam is famous for the mosque, During the reign of Arcot Nawab plenty of Muslims lived here, Situated amidst the natural surrounding, this town is also famous for Abdul Hakim college and the recently built Arabic college.
Mosque inside the Fort
The Mosque inside the fort is protected by the A.S.I. It was built in 1750 and constructed of granite stones with mortar, on three sides, At present it is not used for worship and the gates of the mosque are closed. It is rectangular in shape, The Hindu architecture slowly yielded place to the flourishing Muslim architecture which is evident in the form of innumerable Mosques and palaces which are Indo-Saracenic style.
Muthu Mandabam was inaugurated on O1 .07,1990 by the then Hon'ble Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu Mr. M. Karunanidhi. Vikrama Raja Singhan, the last Tamil ruler to rule Kandy (Sri Lanka) was originally named Kannuswamy, He belonged to the Nayak Dynasty of Madurai. The britishers fought with him for 16 years from 1815 and Vikrama was arrested ,and imprisoned in the Vellore fort jail. He died in 1832. Only in 1983 his cemetery was found, In his memory the Muthu Mandabam was established here in Vellore. His samadhi was erected by his son. A. Vikrama Raja Singham 27.07.1832.
Palamathi, about 14 km is a suburb of vellore and is famous for its Murugan temple recently built on the hill about 1800 ft above the sea level.
The presiding deity here is Sri Ranganathaswamy. The stone inscriptions of the temple reveal that it should have been built in 10th century prior to the regime of Vikrama chola. Contributions made by Kulasekara Sambhuarayan and kampavarman, son of Nandivarman, a Pallava King are recorded in these inscriptions. The temple was originally inside a fort as revealed by the surrounding old dilapidated walls.
13km from Vellore, Ratnagiri is famous for the murugan temple situated on the small hillock. It is said that the temple was built in the 14th century AD, but renovations were made recently.
The famous temple dedicated to sri selva vinayagar and Somasundareswarar has been attracting a large number of devotees from far and near. A special feature of the shrine is that poojas and abishekams are performed for Sri Selva Vinayagar in an open space around which the prakaram has been built. It is said that the original name of the village was Shenbagavanam, as it was full of fragrant shenbaga trees even though no trace of the trees is to be seen now.
Famous, for the sri yoga lakshmi narasimhar temple, situated on 750 ft. high hillock & 1305 stairs. There is also a yoga anjaneyar temple located on a 350 feet high and 406 stairs. Volunteers and devotees who visit the hill temple of sholingur on full moon day of every month to perform girivalam. Thirupavithrotsavam festival is celebrated in the month of August. The navarathri festivals are held in the month of October.
Thiruvurai alias Thakkolam is historically important as the battle-field where the rashtrakutas and the cholas fought in 949 A.D. during the time of Rajaditya. The stone inscriptions in the temple reveal that this temple should have been built during the time of pallava dynasty and was later on improved upon by Chola Kings. The temple occupies an area of about 5 acres.
The presiding deity of this shrine is Sri vallanadheeswar. Saint Thirugnana Sambandar has composed a pathigam in the praise of deity. A unique feature of this shrine is that the Nandhi is not facing the Lord, but facing the opposite direction. There is an under-ground path, beneath the bali peetam. Several stone inscriptions in both Tamil and Sanskrit could be found in the temple.
The village Tirumalpur is named after Tirumal (Lord The temple is of all-stone and assignable to 9th century A.D. based on architechtural style and inscriptions of Parantaka Chola (A.D. 907-955). Though the, temple is devoid of sculptures, it is engraved with a number of Tamil inscriptions belonging to the Chola period (10th to 13th century A.D).
The most sacred Siva Temple at Virinchipuram is Popularly known as "Bhaskara Kshethiram" because the sun is said to worship the linga when its rays fall on it in the month of Panguni. The main shrine of the temple is said to have been built by Raja Raja Chola, Sambara Rayan the viceroy of Kulothunga Chola. There are 5 prakaras in this temple and there is a lion faced sculpture, in the left side of the shrine. This is a well with steps inside and is known as the "Simha Theertham".
Vainu Bappu observatory -Kavalur
The Vainu Bappu Observatory Indian Institute of Astrophysics traces its origin back to the year 1786 william Petrie set up his private observatory at his garden house at Egmore, Madras, which eventually came to be known as the Madras Observatory, Later it was moved over to Kodaikanal and functioned there as the Kodaikanal observatory since 1899, Location : lndian Institute of Astrophysics, Department of Science & Technology Government of lndia, Kavalur, Alangaya – 635701.
Vallimalai has been one of the important jaina Centers during the early medieval period. According to a Kannada inscription that natural cavern was converted into jaina abode by prince rajamalla of Western Ganga dynasty in 10th century A.D.
The fortification of the fort consists of a main rampart broken at irregular intervals by round towers and rectangular projections. The walls are constructed with hewn kangaroo stones of rectangular shape. This is evidently the work of European engineers at a later period of fort's history. The narrow wall running round the fort can be reached by a flight of steps at the entrance of the fort.
|PLACES TO VISIT|